STUDIO & PROGRAM SUPPORT
why DANCE|PREHAB Educational Initiatives?
In our current iteration of dance and learning dance, particularly during formative adolescent years, young dancers are silo-ed into very specific movement patterns. Those who choose dance, while excelling at their craft, are not often given the opportunity to explore “human” movement patterns. Aside from fundamental patterns - hinge, push, pull, jump, squat - we also instill a sense of play to help movers connect with their human side.
DANCEPREHAB Movement Fundamentals is, at its core, a space for young dancers to safely explore different movement and training modalities while respecting their physical and mental development.
“What is your 15 minute warm up?” As physical therapists and educators, we seldom do find that young dancers sufficiently prepare themselves for their movement demands. Through this workshop, we reframe the experience and process of warming up as a creative process can help to promote improved preparation habits for young dancers.
"Core Strength for What?" is a step further than your typical "learn-these-core-exercises" workshop. In this movement experience we reframe and redefine "core stability" in the context of performance, training, and the actual demands that dancers have to face. Instead of perpetuating the language and narrative of "weak cores" we guide dancers to access what is available to them.
DANCE|PREHAB Movement Fundamentals is a movement program that is curated from our experiences working with young dancers in physical therapy. Before we are dancers, we are human, and the more we work with young dancers, the more we see the need for solid human foundations and movement education - squat, hinge, push, pull, and jump.
The purpose of our time together is to give dancers an avenue to connect and develop strong human movement foundations, along with gamification, play, and fun!
THE DANCE|PREHAB APPROACH
- The 21st century dancer is an artist-athlete, and we approach training and movement education for dancers to reflect the athleticism and increasing movement demand found in dance training and performance.
- Let's emphasize movement literacy and fun to explore and develop strong athletic movement qualities found in dance training and performance.
- Movement education and training centered around the scientific principles of strength, conditioning, and movement learning.
- Beyond singular "injury prevention" workshops, our programs are movement-based learning experiences to help dancers, learn with long term consistency and accountability in mind.
for dance educators
Additional sessions emphasize the importance of the parent and teacher/educator as integral members of the dancers' healthcare ecosystem.
Ask about our studio support program below!
"DANCE|PREHAB has helped me in both dancing as a student in ballet/contemporary and even as a teacher myself. It’s DANCEPREHAB’s lessons that give me the knowledge to choreograph and teach in ways specific to the student’s needs and growth."
Emily O. | currently attending juilliard
how can we support you?
AND DANCE PROGRAM DIRECTORS
Our studio support program is informed by our collective experiences as dancers, dance educators, and now physical therapists and movement coaches.
What is your role as part of your the dance health ecosystem?
As studio owners, do you know where your students and families are getting help?
As teachers, how can you be an advocate throughout your dancers' healing process?
AND MOVEMENT PROFESSIONALS
A space and forum for our immediate educational and teaching community to gather, learn, and create dialogue. While each session may be differ slightly, the general theme will be concepts in movement literacy, general preparation, warm-up techniques and principles to best prepare our students for movement.
collaborations / guest teaching
- Chapman University Dance Dept.
- CSU Long Beach Dance Dept.
- Northwestern University Dance Dept.
- American College Dance Association
- IADMS Regional and International Conferences (International Association of Dance Medicine and Science) - Presenter
- Performing Arts Medicine Association - Presenter
- DANCE/USA - Presenter
- DanseMedica - Presenter
- Debbie Allen Dance Academy SI 2023
- ABT William Gillespie School SI
- Laguna Dance Festival
- Regional Dance America SI
- National Dance Honors / Adrenaline Dance Convention
- chuthis. Movement Intensive
- LA Contemporary Dance Company
- Entity Contemporary Dance
...and numerous southern ca studios
The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
If you are experiencing pain, please see your nearest medical professional.